Traditions of Lancashire, Volume 2
718 Pages
English

Traditions of Lancashire, Volume 2

-

Downloading requires you to have access to the YouScribe library
Learn all about the services we offer

Description

Project Gutenberg's Traditions of Lancashire, Volume 2 (of 2), by John RobyThis eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and withalmost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away orre-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License includedwith this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.orgTitle: Traditions of Lancashire, Volume 2 (of 2)Author: John RobyRelease Date: April 30, 2008 [EBook #25256]Language: English*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK TRADITIONS OF LANCASHIRE ***Produced by Jonathan Ingram, Hélène de Mink and the OnlineDistributed Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.netTranscriber's note: Minors spelling inconsistencies, mainly hyphenated words, have been harmonised.Obvious printer errors have been corrected, but the original regional spelling of "properpty" (in "Clegg Hall") has beenretained.Some chapters start with illustrations. In the original book those illustrations are not named. Here they are named aftertheir chapters.The Latin numbers (i, ii, etc.) behind some words or expressions refer to the transcriber's notes at the end of this e-book."Time has spared the epitaph on Adrian's horse,—confounded that of himself.""SIR THOMAS BROWNE."TRADITIONSOFLANCASHIRE.byJOHN ROBY, M.R.S.L.ILLUSTRATED BY ENGRAVINGS ON STEEL AND WOOD.IN TWO VOLUMES.VOL. II.Fifth Edition.LONDON:GEORGE ROUTLEDGE AND SONS.MANCHESTER: L. C. GENT.1872.PRINTED BY BALLANTYNE AND COMPANYEDINBURGH AND LONDONCONTENTS OF ...

Subjects

Informations

Published by
Published 08 December 2010
Reads 44
Language English

Project Gutenberg's Traditions of Lancashire, Volume
2 (of 2), by John Roby
This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no
cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it,
give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg
License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org
Title: Traditions of Lancashire, Volume 2 (of 2)
Author: John Roby
Release Date: April 30, 2008 [EBook #25256]
Language: English
*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK
TRADITIONS OF LANCASHIRE ***
Produced by Jonathan Ingram, Hélène de Mink and
the Online
Distributed Proofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.netTranscriber's note: Minors spelling inconsistencies,
mainly hyphenated words, have been harmonised.
Obvious printer errors have been corrected, but the
original regional spelling of "properpty" (in "Clegg Hall")
has been retained.
Some chapters start with illustrations. In the original
book those illustrations are not named. Here they are
named after their chapters.
The Latin numbers (i, ii, etc.) behind some words or
expressions refer to the transcriber's notes at the end
of this e-book.
"Time has spared the epitaph on Adrian's horse,—
confounded that of himself."
"Sir Thomas Browne."
TRADITIONS
OF
LANCASHIRE.by
JOHN ROBY, M.R.S.L.
ILLUSTRATED BY ENGRAVINGS ON STEEL AND
WOOD.
IN TWO VOLUMES.
VOL. II.
Fifth Edition.
LONDON:
GEORGE ROUTLEDGE AND SONS.
MANCHESTER: L. C. GENT.
1872.
PRINTED BY BALLANTYNE AND COMPANY
EDINBURGH AND LONDON
CONTENTS OF VOLUME II.
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS.
THE FAIRIES' CHAPEL.
THE LUCK OF MUNCASTER.
THE PEEL OF FOULDREY.
A LEGEND OF BEWSEY.
THE BLESSING.
THE DULE UPO' DUN.
WINDLESHAW ABBEY.
CLEGG HALL.
THE MERMAID OF MARTIN MEER.GEORGE FOX.
THE DEMON OF THE WELL.
THE SANDS.
THE RING AND THE CLIFF.
THE DEAD MAN'S HAND.
THE LOST FARM.
THE MAID'S STRATAGEM.
THE SKULL HOUSE.
RIVINGTON PIKE.
MOTHER RED-CAP;
THE DEATH-PAINTER.
THE CRYSTAL GOBLET.
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
THE LUCK OF MUNCASTER.
THE PEEL OF FOULDREY.
BEWSEY,_NEAR WARRINGTON.
THE BLESSING.
THE DULE UPO' DUN
WINDLESHAW_ABBEY.
CLEGG HALL, NEAR ROCHDALE.
THE MERMAID OF MARTIN MEER.
GEORGE FOX.
PEG O'NELLY'S WELL, NEAR CLITHEROE.
ULVERSTONE SANDS.
THE RING AND THE CLIFF.
THE DEAD MAN'S HAND.
THE LOST FARM, NEAR SOUTHPORT.
THE MAID'S STRATAGEM.
THE SKULL-HOUSE.
RIVINGTON PIKE.THE THRUTCH, NEAR ROCHDALE.
THE FAIRIES' CHAPEL.
Farewell, rewards and fairies!
Good housewives now may say;
For now foule sluts in dairies,
Doe fare as well as they:
And though they sweepe their hearths no less
Than mayds were wont to doe,
Yet who of late, for cleaneliness,
Finds sixe-pence in her shoe?"
—Percy's Reliques.
The ancient mansion of Healey Hall was a cumbrous
inconvenient dwelling of timber; but the spirit of
improvement having gone forth in the reign of
Elizabeth, an ordinary hall-house of stone was
erected, about the year 1620, by Oliver Chadwick. On
the south front was a projecting wing and three
gables, with a large hall-window. The north front had
two gables only, with a projecting barn. The north
entrance, covered by a porch, was a thorough
passage, answering to the screens of a college,
having on one side the hall and parlour beyond; on the
other were the kitchen, buttery, &c. On the river below
was a corn-mill; this and a huge barn being necessary
appendages to the hospitable mansions and plentiful
boards of our forefathers. Over the front door was this
inscription—
C. C. DOC. T: R. C: I. C. A. C: R. B.ANO. DOM'I. 1168.
About the year 1756 the east wall gave way, and a
considerable fishure appeared on the outside. This
event was considered by many as the usual
foretokening that its owner, Charles Chadwick, of
Healey and Ridware, would speedily be removed by
death from the seat of his ancestors; and so it proved,
for in the course of a few months he died at Lichfield,
aged eighty-two. His great age, though, will be thought
the more probable token, the surer presage of
approaching dissolution.
On a stone near the top of the building, on the north
side, a human head was rudely carved in relief, which
tradition affirms to have been a memorial of one of the
workmen, accidentally killed while the house was
building.
In 1773, the existing edifice was built, on the ancient
site, by John Chadwick, grandfather to the present
owner
In Corry's Lancashire is the following document,
furnished by the recent possessor, Charles Chadwick,
Esq. It relates to the foregoing John Chadwick, his
father—
"In 1745, at the rebellion, when the Pretender's son
and his Highlanders reached Manchester, having
obtained a list of the loyal subscribers, they began (of
course) to enforce the payment of the money for their
own use. An officer of the belted plaid, of the second
division, came to the house of Mr C., in King Street,
whilst the master of it was with his father at Ridware,whilst the master of it was with his father at Ridware,
and, on being told that he was from home, and his
lady ill in bed, he went up-stairs, and opening the
chamber-door, where she was then lying-in, beckoned
her sister to come to him on the stairs, where he told
her (in a mild but decided tone) that the money before
mentioned must be paid quickly for the use of 'the
prince (who lodged at the house in Market Street, now
called the Palace Inn), or the house would be burnt
down.' In this dilemma, the man-midwife calling first,
and afterwards the physician, were both consulted by
the ladies; when the former (a Tory) advised to send
the money after them, whilst the latter (a Whig)
thought it better to keep it till called for; consequently,
never being called for in their hasty retreat, the money
was not paid. It may be proper to add, Captain
Lachlan MacLachlan, of the first division (afterwards
one of the proscribed), being quartered in the same
house, behaved with the greatest civility and
politeness. On a party of horse coming to the door for
quarters, he called for a lanthorn, and, though he had
a cold (for which white wine whey was offered him,
which he called 'varra good stuff'), walked as far as
Salford, and there quartered them; two of his
Highlanders, in the meantime, were dancing reels in
the kitchen, and in the morning gave each of the
maids sixpence at parting."
The name Healey Dene denotes a valley or dale,
convallis, enclosed on both sides with steep hills; dene
being a Saxon word, signifying a narrow valley, with
woods and streams of water convenient for the
feeding of cattle. Here the river Spodden, which now
keeps many fulling-mills and engines at work, formerly
turned one solitary corn-mill only. It was built in thenarrow dingle below the hall, for the supply of the
hamlet. The feudal owners of most mansions usually
erected corn-mills (where practicable) within their own
demesnes. After the family had removed to the more
mild and temperate climate of Mavesyn-Ridware, in
Staffordshire, about the year 1636, Healey Mill was
converted into a fulling-mill, so that one of the principal
features in our story no longer exists.
About two miles north from Rochdale lies the hamlet
of Healey, a high tract of land, as its Saxon derivation
seems to imply, hea ʓe, high, and lea ʓ a pasture,
signifying the "high pasture."
Our Saxon ancestors chiefly occupied their lands for
grazing purposes; hence the many terminations in ley,
or lea ʓ. Pasturage is still called a "ley" for cattle in
these parts.
In this remote hamlet dwelt a family, probably of
Saxon origin, whose name, De Heley, from their place
of residence, had, in all likelihood, been assumed soon
after the Norman conquest. Their descendants, of the
same name, continued to reside here until the reign of
Edward III., holding their lands as abbey lands, under
the abbot of Stanlaw, soon after the year 1172, in the
reign of Henry II., and subsequently under the abbot
of Whalley, from the year 1296.[1] In 1483, John
Chadwyke, or (Ceddevyc, from the common
appellation Cedde, and vyc, a mansion or vill,
signifying Cedde's fort, peel, or fortified mansion)
married Alice, eldest daughter and co-heir of Adam
Okeden of Heley; and in her right settled at the
mansion of Heley (or Healey) Hall, then a hugeunsightly structure of wood and plaster, built according
to the fashion of those days. An ancestor of Adam
Okeden having married "Hawise, heir of Thomas de
Heley," in the reign of Edward III., became possessed
of this inheritance.
The origin of surnames would be an interesting inquiry.
In the present instance it seems clear that the name
and hamlet of Chadwick are derived from Cedde's vyc,
or Chad's vyc. This mansion, situated on the southern
extremity of Spotland, or Spoddenland, bounded on
the east by that stream, and southward by the Roche,
was built on a bold eminence above the river, where
Cedde and his descendants dwelt, like the Jewish
patriarchs, occupied in the breeding of sheep and
other cattle.
"But though this hamlet had been named Ceddevic,
from its subordinate Saxon chief, he himself could not
have adopted it for his own surname; because
surnames were then scarcely, if at all, known here. He
must have continued, therefore, to use his simple
Saxon name of Cedde only, and his successors
likewise, with the addition of Saxon patronymics even
down to the Norman conquest, when the Norman
fashion of local names or surnames was first
introduced into England."
But though the Norman addition of surnames "became
general amongst the barons, knights, and gentry,
soon after the Conquest, yet Saxon patronymics long
continued in use amongst the common people, and
are still not unusual here. Thus, instead of John
Ashworth and Robert Butterworth, we hear of Robin o'

)